Sunday, November 13, 2005

Serenity the novelization by Keith R.A. DeCandio

Keith R. A. DeCandido has written four other movie adaptations. After reading this one... I am glad I don't have to read the rest.

The book is a basic transcription of the screenplay... with a few mentions of things that happened in the Firefly series to tie into it. The content of the story wasn't bad, but the writing style was just not something I enjoyed.

There are some small moments of redemption of the book in the scene on Haven when the Operative attacks and the opening two pre-story background chapters. Those were three areas of well written prose. However, once we get into the meat of the story. Eh... let's just say already knowing the plot I struggled to finish.

I guess I am asking a lot to want the book to be as engrossing as the movie. But I truly think that this could have been a much better book than what was produced.

Don't get me wrong, Keith is a very nice guy and I enjoyed the interview that Eric and I did with him on Fireflytalk. It's entirely possible that I may have expected too much of this book because its from a series and movie that I am so involved with.

Review Chick Says:

No comments: